This is my dollhouse. A boyfriend from long ago and I made this dollhouse in the late 1970s. So, I am guessing it is about 42+ years old. This was not a kit. Rather, it was designed and built from scratch. The original house had lighting, including a red fireplace glow, all controlled by switches in the attic. When I think about our original creation, there was a ton of creativity. Now, after many years of being stored in basements, it is time for a rehab. This may take me awhile! But before I start, I’d like to start with a few pictures of what the dollhouse looks like today. I left everything as is, just like when Tarek and Christina go into a home they are going to flip.
The Living Room
The Kitchen and Dining Area
Bedrooms 1 and 2
The Roof and Attic
Where will I begin with this project? To start, I will empty out all the trash and everything in all the rooms. Then I will work on restoring the outside. The back side of the roof has needs to be nailed back on. I also plan to empty out the attic and remove the vestiges of the wired lighting system. The siding and the roof shingles have to be repaired or replaced.
I do not plan to restore the dollhouse to its original state, rather, an updated version; though, I hope to keep some of its most endearing features. As I update the dollhouse, I plan to do so in a creative, economical way, just as when it was originally built. I plan to reuse parts of it as much as possible, rather than just tear it all out and buy new.
I plan to post my progress as I go. I don’t know why I have always liked dollhouses, but I do. I’m really excited about this project. I hope you’ll come along with me on my journey and watch its restoration. I welcome your comments and suggestions.