Did anyone ever tell you, “Be careful what you wish for”?
For Thanksgiving, I made a homemade dutch apple crumb pie. It took me three hours to make it. When it was done, I thought, “Oh, I wish I didn’t have to wait until tomorrow, Thanksgiving Day, to have a piece.” Turns out, I didn’t have to wait.
Earlier in the week, on Monday, Dan woke up with a runny nose and a cough. Dan doesn’t get sick, and he didn’t get any better as the week went on. So, on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, we took him for a Covid test. We had briefly been around someone who was coming off of a cold (confirmed not Covid), so we were pretty sure it was just a cold. But since we were going to be with family the next two days, we wanted to be sure. Turns out, it was Covid.
Here’s the answers: Yes, we were both vaccinated. We’ve had the two doses. Pfizer. No, we did not have the booster yet. I just became eligible, and we were waiting until after Thanksgiving. We didn’t want to have any possible side effects until after the holiday. We do not have any idea where he got it. I am feeling fine and am keeping my fingers and toes crossed I stay that way. Dan’s symptoms are similar to that of a cold. It is Day 7 of a minimum 10 day quarantine.
Here’s the good:
- We are both vaccinated, so Dan’s symptoms are mild to moderate. No breathing trouble. Thank heavens – and science – he is not worse.
- It is good this happened now rather than at Christmas time. None of our kids came home for Thanksgiving; they will all be here at Christmas. God willing.
- We were able to order Thanksgiving dinners from Bob Evans the night before and have them delivered to our front porch on Thanksgiving at 3 p.m.
- Bob Evans allowed us to substitute apple pie for the pumpkin pie. Sometimes it is the simplest things that can make you so happy!
- There were lots of sports (hockey and football) on TV for Dan to watch. After the Macy’s Day parade, of course.
- We are eating salad every day. That is because we planned to go to Debbie and Larry’s home on Friday, along with Heather and Andrew. We had planned to bring the salad.
- I shampooed the living room carpet on Friday. A clean carpet is always good.
- We are spending less money on gasoline. It doesn’t take any gas to stay home.
- We put our Christmas tree up on Saturday, and we can take our time – even several days if we want – to put out the rest of the Christmas decorations.
- We get to eat the whole homemade dutch apple crumb pie and the two pieces from Bob Evans – just the two of us!
Beside all that, I get to give you a friendly reminder that Covid is still out there. So, please be careful.
And more than that, enjoy these days however you can, because . . . what else can you do?